Why and How You Should Clean Your Gutters
Gutter cleaning is essential for proper water drainage around your home. Here’s everything you need to know about completing this home maintenance task.
WHY CLEAN THE GUTTERS?
Rain gutters can easily become clogged with leaves, pine needles, animal nests, and roof
shingle debris. When there is a clog in your gutters, rainwater can overflow and runs down the side of the house, and come inside. In the wintertime, any standing water may freeze and cause ice dams. Doing this twice a year should help alleviate issues from arising.
There are multiple issues that clogged gutters can cause:
● More mosquitoes on your property
● Detached gutters
● Damaged gutters
● Siding stains, rot, and mold
● Foundation damage
● Basement flooding
● Roof damage and attic leaks
HOW TO CLEAN THE GUTTERS
If you are capable, feel free to clean the gutters yourself. If not, many companies will come do it for you.
GUTTER CLEANING TOOLS
● Work gloves
● Protective goggles
● Roof rake
● Garden hose
STEPS TO CLEAN THE GUTTERS
1. Always wear your work gloves and goggles, set up the ladder, and climb to the top with
the roof rake.
2. Rake any loose leaves and twigs from the roof down to the gutter, or within reach.
3. Return the rake to the ground and carry your bucket and trowel to the top of the ladder.
4. Scoop debris from the gutters into the bucket.
5. Reposition the ladder and repeat these steps until you have cleaned all the gutters.
6. Run water from a hose through the downspouts to clear out any clogs.
7. Double check and make sure the downspouts extend at least six feet from the
foundation of your home.